Visual Abstract - Unilateral Carotid Body Resection in Resistant Hypertension: A Safety and Feasibility Trial: 10.1016/j.jacbts.2016.06.004
2019-06-13T11:00:12Z (GMT) by
• First prospective feasibility and safety clinical trial on unilateral CB resection for the treatment of high blood pressure.
• In drug-resistant patients with hypertension, unilateral CB resection was feasible and safe.
• Unilateral CB resection lowered blood pressure by 26 mm Hg in 57% of patients with drug-resistant hypertension associated with a reduction in muscle sympathetic nerve activity and its baroreceptor reflex control.
• Whole drug equivalents were reduced in the responding patients.
• Responding patients had characteristics distinct to those that did not respond; these should allow patient selection for future CB modulation trials.