Visual Abstract - Galectin-3 Regulates Atrial Fibrillation Remodeling and Predicts Catheter Ablation Outcomes: 10.1016/j.jacbts.2016.03.003
2019-06-13T11:01:17Z (GMT) by
• Intracardiac serum galectin (Gal)-3 levels are shown to be greater in patients with persistent than paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (AF), and the Gal-3 level was an independent predictor of AF recurrences after a single ablation procedure.
• In a sheep model, the Gal-3 inhibitor GM-CT-01 (GMCT) reduced atrial fibroblast proliferation in vitro.
• GMCT mitigated atrial dilation, myocyte hypertrophy, fibrosis, and the expected increase in DF during transition to persistent AF.
• GMCT-treated sheep hearts had longer action potential durations, and fewer rotors and wavebreaks during AF than control.
• GMCT increased the number of spontaneous AF terminations and reduced overall AF burden.