Visual Abstract - Adeno-Associated Virus Serotype 9–Driven Expression of BAG3 Improves Left Ventricular Function in Murine Hearts With Left Ventricular Dysfunction Secondary to a Myocardial Infarction: 10.1016/j.jacbts.2016.08.008
2019-06-13T10:46:33Z (GMT) by
• BAG3 is a highly conserved protein having pleiotropic effects that is expressed at high levels in the heart, skeletal muscles, and many cancers.
• BAG3 levels are reduced in many forms of LV dysfunction including mice after ligation of the left coronary artery.
• Retro-orbital injection of mice with an adeno-associated virus coupled to murine BAG3 under the control of a CMV promoter (rAAV9-BAG3) increased myocardial levels of BAG3 by 7 days post-injection.
• Retro-orbital injection of rAAV9-BAG3 in mice post-myocardial infarction improved LV function, whereas rAAV9-BAG3 had no effect on LV function in the absence of an MI.
• BAG3 may prove to be a new therapeutic target in the treatment of heart failure.